How’s Your Hay Supply Holding Out?

If there’s anything I hate worse at this time of year than the prospect of doing taxes, it’s the prospect of running out of hay.

And as I watch the reports of extreme winter weather pounding away at so many parts of the country, I can’t help but wonder:

How’s your hay supply holding out?

If you’ve had long cold spells, you’ve probably gone through your hay faster than you expected, and if you don’t or can’t put in a long-term supply, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that finding more hay is high on your priority list.

If that’s the case, what’s your situation for getting more–is hay readily available, or are you having to scramble to find it? Any tips or resources you can share?

Here’s hoping you’re sitting pretty and have all the hay you need.

If not, here’s a place where you can vent your pain!

Tagged , , , , | 10 Comments

10 Responses to “How’s Your Hay Supply Holding Out?”

1. Beth Hester says:

even though I live in South Georgia, my horses are running thru a 100 bale supply. Usually I have 20-25 bales left over, but this year will have to buy 20 more bales. Fortunately, I have two sources (good friends) that are holding my 20 bales til early March.

2. Andrea Wayne says:

Here in central Texas hay is available but very expensive-about $10 a square bale-very challenging keeping horses right now due to costs.

3. Corrie Fisher (EZ Bales) says:

We are a hay supplier in Southern Alberta Canada, and due to the wet spring & summer we had in 2013, there is a drastic shortage of suitable horse hay (cow hay is more available). We were very lucky an worked very hard to get our 5000 small squares & 300 rounds up dry & tarped them quickly. But needless to say we are sold out an I still receive 2-5 phone calls or emails a day asking if we have hay left. My how I hate telling them no, I wish we had more. I encourage them to find hay soon as prices will continue to rise (due to supply & demand), but don’t buy sight-un-seen & to get it home ASAP to ensure they have the best hay that they looked at. We put up more an more hay every year an have amazing clientele who are very happy with our hay & our great attention to quality. Hopefully next year we can feed more horses our great hay & keep the horse owners happy as well with great hay – till next hay season!!

4. Stephanie Fitkin says:

I have been supplementing with pellets to stretch my hay supply. I am very concern with hay supply this coming year. We have been in a drought and that will effect the farmers.

5. John Latz says:

We’ve found our local Craig’s List has been a great resource. Even as we’re now in the midst of our “Snowmegeddon” we are feeling Juli’s pains and are looking for more “backup” hay. Another resource for us has been Facebook. We have local/county sites up – try searching for your city/county name and “livestock” or “farm” or “horses”, etc.. Good luck. Stay dry, warm and safe!
    John Latz, M.D.
    Catawba, NC

6. Jan Schinke says:

I an in AZ and generally pay 80 for a large round bale which ran out last month and are now paying 14 to 18 for 3 string bales and a lot of them are very dry and not green. We have severe drought in our state and very worried, yes! Craigslist has been a god send for now but I still have to drive six hour round trip. I guess whatever it takes.

7. Mary Ann Wells says:

We put up plenty of hay last year, but because it was so wet, our quality is down. On the coldest days and nights I sort through it ( small squares) and only put out top quality bales, otherwise I keep the rack full . I have heard of shortages of horse quality hay around here. I supplement with Purina Strategy to meet the needs of my two riding horses. I have had to rake and burn the passed over hay several times already this winter.

8. Marilyn Taylor says:

It looks like I have about 2-1/2 months’ supply. I hope the farmer I get my hay from has a 1st cutting by then. If not, I’ll have to scramble.

9. Eros says:

Also here in Italy the wet spring has created a lot of problems to make a good quality hay for horses, but in some way we done.
    Also the price in the market is raising every week!
    Fortunately we have enough hay until next hay-cutting season.

10. Christine says:

I live in Syracuse, NY. Every year we make sure we get enough to last through the winter. We always plan on a long, cold winter. This year has been especially cold for us. I found a new hay supplier last year, I bought 200 square bales for my two horses. Not only was it great hay that the horses love and are thriving on but it was only $4.50 a bale delivered and stacked. I will have some hay left this year judging on what I have used. I will donate whay my boys don’t eat to Sunshine Horses!